2016 Audi RS3 pricing and specifications for Australia
Audi has confirmed that its super-hot hatch, the new 2016 RS 3 Sportback, will hit Australia in October, priced from $78,900 plus on-road costs.
No surprise that the hot Audi will be aimed directly at Mercedes-AMG’s mean A 45, although buyers looking to the Merc will save around $3200 – unless the newly updated version wears a heavier price tag when it lands in December or January.
Audi isn’t expecting the RS 3’s price premium to deter many buyers, though, with the the new hatch likely to be the most popular offering in the RS range.
So popular, in fact, that the local Audi arm expects the new RS 3 Sportback to at least double the current total sales haul of the entire RS range in Australia.
The new arrival also supplants the $81,510 RSQ3 SUV as Australia’s most affordable RS model, while easily undercutting the larger $151,010 RS 4 Avant wagon.
Driving the new hatch is a 2.5 litre five-cylinder turbo-charged and direct-injected petrol engine, producing a mighty 270kW at 5550-6800rpm and 465Nm at 1625-5550rpm.
Power goes to the electro-hydraulic multi-plate clutch Quattro all-wheel drive system through a seven-speed dual clutch S-tronic automatic transmission exclusively, propelling the 1520kg RS 3 Sportback to 100km/h in 4.3 seconds.
(Of course, AMG hasn’t left the RS 3 much time in the spotlight, having already revealed its updated A 45 hatch in June. That little monster boasts 280kW from its turbo four, along with a 4.2 second sprint to 100km/h.)
Fuel consumption for the Australian model is listed at 8.1 l/100km on the combined cycle, with CO2 emissions rated at 189g/km.
Note: Overseas model shown, Australian photos still to come.
- 19-inch alloy wheels in five-arm rotor design
- RS specific sport suspension
- RS sport exhaust system
- RS sport front seats, trimmed in Nappa leather with diamond-pattern stitching and seat heating
- Multi-function sports steering wheel in leather and Alcantara trim with flat bottom and shift paddles
- MMI Navigation Plus with 7.0-inch colour display
- Audi Music Interface, MMI Touch control interface
- Audi Sound System with 10 speakers and total 180w output
- CD player, two SDHC memory card slots, 20gb HDD
- Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity and audio streaming
- DAB+ digital radio
- automatic air-conditioning with dual climate control and rear air vents
- storage and luggage compartment package
- Front airbags for driver, front passenger
- Side airbags and head-level curtain airbags for front row
- Driver’s knee airbag
- Electromechanical speed-sensitive power steering and safety steering column with tilt and telescoping adjustment
- Electronic stability control (ESC) with ABS, electronic differential lock (EDL) and Traction Control (ASR).
- Audi Parking System Plus with front/rear sensors and rear-view camera
- Audi Side Assist
2016 Audi RS 3 Sportback pricing (plus on-road costs):
Audi RS 3 Sportback – $78,900
More: 2016 RS 3 driven in Italy